All Medicare patients, regardless of their benefits, are entitled to rights and protections.
- Individuals with Medicare are protected from discrimination. All companies that have contracts or work with Medicare are not permitted to treat beneficiaries differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion or sex.
- You are entitled to having your personal and health information kept private.
- Medicare patients have access to information about the government program to assist you in making health care decisions such as what’s covered under each plan, what Medicare pays, how much you’ll have to pay out-of-pocket and what you can do if you want to file a compliant or appeal.
- Beneficiaries can get emergency care when and where its needed, have access to doctors, specialists and hospitals, and learn about treatment options in clear language that you can understand.
- If you disagree with a decision about a claim, you have the right to an appeal.
Rights with Original Medicare
As a patient with Original Medicare you have the option of seeing any doctor or specialist and any Medicare-certified hospital that participates in Medicare. Information, notices and appeal rights are available to help you resolve any issues you may encounter when Medicare may not or doesn’t pay for health care services you need.